Monday, February 1, 2016

Simple Carrot Salad



Carrot Salad with Cilantro
    I have never been a fan of the month of January, so I am glad to see it go. Especially since this January has been an unusually bumpy ride for me. I rang in the new year with a car accident that left my car totaled, and me with a mild concussion, which feels a lot like a holiday hang over. But I haven't had a drink in years. And by the way, the accident was in no way my fault.


   I also found out that my CA 125 (cancer indicator) is skyrocketing again. It is up from a concerning 70 ( two months ago) to 350. Yikes, not what I wanted to hear. So, once again I have some major decisions to make.

   I have held on tight, and steadied myself the best I could through all of these events, and am optimistic that with all of this behind me, February will be a great month. I should have a new car in a few days, my 5 day meditation retreat starts at the end of the week, and I am looking into a trip to Mexico for cancer treatment (more on that in another post). Not to mention the days are getting longer!

   Posting has been a bit of a struggle this past month, but I'm really glad I stuck with it. It has balanced out all the time I have spent laying around with my head spinning, and made me feel less defeated. So, I am excited today to bring you this simple carrot salad with cilantro. It is adapted from Amy Chaplin's Carrot Parsley Salad in her book,  At Home In the Whole Food Kitchen: Celebrating the Art of Eating Well, which is available On Amazon.com. and is one of my favorite cookbooks for it's simple, healthy, everyday meals. 





Carrot Cilantro Salad
Serves 4-6

3/4 lb. of carrots (about 6)
1 c. chopped cilantro (or parsley) plus more to garnish
2 scallions sliced thinly

Dressing:
3 T. olive oil
1 1/2 T. cider vinegar
3 T. fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp. salt

2T. sunflower  or sesame seeds to garnish (optional)

Mix the dressing ingredients.
Grate the carrots and toss with the chopped cilantro and scallions.
Add the dressing and mix well.

I like to serve this on top of a small handful of greens, and garnish it with some extra cilantro and a spoonful of seeds.  
Today I had it along with some avocado toast, but you could serve it with quinoa, or a veggie burger to make it a complete meal.

If there are any left overs, it will be fine in the refrigerator  for a day or two.

1 comment:

  1. I am so in awe of you--the way that you have stayed committed to using this blog as both a form of expression as well as a comfort, and just your whole healing journey. It is all inspiring and I'm grateful to be sharing this journey with you.
    I'm glad to see that you like Amy Chaplin too, as I've enjoyed her blog and newsletter as well. I'm not a fan of parsley, but I do love cilantro--so that adaptation works for me!

    ReplyDelete