Friday, March 11, 2016

Budwig Raspberry Parfait Recipe

 
   In yesterdays post about the Budwig diet I forgot to mention that I really like the taste of this mixture, so I am very happy to be eating it every day. What I can't believe though is that I waited until today to try it with fruit. After more than two months of being satisfied with mixing in some chopped raw veggies, I was feeling like it might add a little bit of excitement to my morning routine if I tried something different, something special. So, I made a parfait.


Budwig raspberry cheesecake farfait


     I took one bite, and thought Oh My God is this good! I don't know what I was expecting, something marginally good I suppose. This was creamy, and fruity, with a hint of cheesecakiness, and a bit of crunch. It really felt like something I shouldn't be eating. I kept running the ingredients through my head. Cottage cheese with flax oil, I can have that, and fruit, they said I could add fruit, nuts, seeds, no problem. I did add a bit of vanilla, but decided that was okay. Again, Oh my God I can eat this. And I did, a bit too quickly, so I have a bit of a  heavy stomach, the same heavy feeling you get from over indulging in any decadent dessert.
I could probably have done with half  a portion........

parfait recipe
Serves one, but really it's enough for two

Start by mixing your cottage cheese flax oil mixture of 1/2c. cottage cheese to 1/4 c. oil (see yesterdays post , Budwig Diet Basics, for the correct way to do this). Click HERE to read Budwig Diet Basics.

add 3/4 of a tsp. of vanilla extract
add a pinch of stevia ( to taste) but not too much because the fruit will add extra sweetness

add about 3/4c. of raspberries (frozen and thawed) to 3/4 of the cheese mix

prepare some chopped nuts for the top and flax seeds to hide between the layers 

I started by layering some chia jam in the bottom, that I made the night before, for an extra layer of fanciness and nutrition.
Then I put in 1/4 of the plain vanilla cheese mix and topped it with the flax seeds.
Then I mixed the raspberries into the remaining vanilla cheese mixture, and put that as the top layer.
I then sprinkled the chopped nuts on top with a few extra berries.

REMEMBER this should be eaten as soon as you make it. The cottage cheese, flax mix cannot be made ahead.

chia jam

1c. thawed frozen raspberries crushed
1/4 c. water
2 T. chia seeds
pinch of stevia 
1/2 tsp.cinnamon (optional) 
mix and let sit until the seeds absorb the liquid - about 1 hr. 

Of course you could just mix it all together in a bowl and be done with it, but then you can't call it a parfait. Then it's just a mess in a bowl, and even though it would probably be just as delicious, I don't think it would be as special. You couldn't call it a parfait! And parfait is such a fun word that it would be a shame to replace it with mess in bowl. Wouldn't it?

p.s. I'm sure you wouldn't even taste the flax oil in this.

No comments:

Post a Comment