Friday, November 6, 2015

Creamy Roasted Butternut Squash Soup


   I made this soup at the last minute for dinner last night. I needed something I could make quickly before heading out the door to my pottery class. I already had some roasted squash in the refrigerator, so I decided on a creamy soup. I figured that if I needed to, I could easily put the soup in my thermos and drink it when I got to class. It was so good that I didn't want to wait, so I decided to be a little late. A decision I don't take lightly.
   I remade it this morning so that I could write it down and share it. You will have to start with some leftover roasted squash, or allow time for roasting. I used butternut here.
   Winter squash is at it's peak right now (in New England anyway), so I didn't want too much interference with its sweet nutty flavor. I kept it simple. The almond milk keeps it vegan and adds extra sweetness and creaminess, and the cinnamon and nutmeg add warmth and comfort, but it is the squash that shines here.

Recipe;
serves 3-4

1lb. of roasted butternut squash
1 T. olive oil or coconut oil
1/2 of a medium onion chopped
1/2 of a carrot chopped
1/2 of a stalk of celery chopped
1 garlic clove chopped
1 3/4c. water 
pinch of nutmeg
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt or more to taste
1c. almond milk (it is best if you make your own)
few grinds of black pepper
toasted pumpkin seeds to garnish (optional)

If you don't have leftover squash, cut a squash in half. Scoop out the seeds. Rub the cut side with olive oil, and place it cut side down on a baking sheet. Roast at 375 degrees until tender (30-40 mins.)

Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium high heat. Saute the onion, carrot and celery until tender (a few minutes). Add the salt and the garlic and continue to sauté for another minute. 
Add the water, spices and roasted squash. Bring it to a simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes.
Reduce the heat to low and add the almond milk. Remove the pan from the heat when hot, but not boiling.
Puree in a blender and serve.

I like to top it with some pumpkin seeds for added crunch, nutrition and flavor.
A dash of cayenne would be good here too.


No comments:

Post a Comment